Saturday 20 February 2016

Team Trondheim Bjj




I have had the pleasure of training with Team Trondheim BJJ in Norway. 


The gym training area is 2 big matted areas and a space for striking with boxing equipment available. 
There is also private changing rooms, weight room for strength and conditioning and a kitchen for making snacks! 

There is something for everyone with a timetable full of BJJ, nogi, kids classes, krav maga, kickboxing and MMA classes. 


The club was founded in 2002 and the main instructor Per Christian Andresen has instructor licence under Harris International Grappling Association led by Roy Harris. Classes are also run by active members and coaches of the club that are also competing in national and international tournaments. 


The environment is relaxed and everyone was really nice and friendly to me as a visitor in their gym. The quality of the teaching has a high standard and you can see this in the rolling afterwards. 

There are some great grapplers here and the guys work really hard! I have been exhausted after every session trying to control some of these big guys, so it has been a challenge for me as a smallish girl. I get great use of my big legs though! 


As I now have been training in Glasgow and in Barcelona, I haven't really trained in my home country of Norway. I was quite nervous before as I am still only a white belt myself, and wasn't sure if I would have anything to bring to the table as a visitor in a new club. I manned up and tried my best and tried to just enjoy the experience. And that is what is just so fantastic about jiu jitsu! 
You can go anywhere in the world, and no matter what language we speak, we still all understand the language of jiu jitsu! 

As I stood watching he first technique being shown by the instructor, I felt relaxed immediately, because I know this. It is still the same positions, still the same submissions no matter where you are! 
I feel you instantly connect with people because everyone knows what it's like to be on the mats and work your ass off and get beat every day. 

I met some great people and everyone were friendly and welcomed me with open arms. I also learned some great techniques and got experience rolling with new people of all shapes and sizes. I got to test my skills and see how I handled myself in a new environment in a new club. 

As I started my jiu jitsu journey with my man Dean, I usually have him next to me as safety and as a support. It was a big achievement for me to visit a club by myself and represent my former team Gracie Barra and my current team Anaconda. I gained some confidence in my jiu jitsu as everyone gave me great feedback and I know I gave people a hard time on the mats! oSSS!


Team Trondheim BJJ - http://trondheim-bjj.no/


Post by Anne Sofie Skaalvik
www.annesofiesoprano.com








No comments:

Post a Comment