Wednesday 25 April 2018

Team performance at Giland competition. Abril 18.

We trained hard, sacrificed our bodies (my fingers and rib are broken haha) and then we came and conquered.

It was our first outing this year as a full team to the main Jiu Jitsu promotion `Giland` here in Barcelona and it was actually the first competition for a few members of our team so it was a great way to break the guys into the competition scene.




First up was Julio, senior, white belt.
Great matches and in his first he swept into half guard, passed and secured mount.
I remember he was up like 25-0 before taking the armbar from full mount and finishing his opponent.
Overall a great showing for him!
Don't let his stature fool you! He is solid as a rock and a bombero here in Spain!



Second up was Alvaro, Adulto, White -94kg.
Great fight with a superb back take from Alvaro.
He then secured the bow and arrow grips but couldn't finish it due to the opponents resolve and defences. He won this fight on points and then lost his second on points to the division winner and absolute winner.




The third was Rhayang, White belt, Over 100kg.
His opponent never showed up so he took the gold in this category. I know this is a faux pax and he was unsure of even taking it although we said to him it was the hard training up until the comp that defined him and he should take it.
In his absolute fight, he lost to the division winner who was a big strong bull of a guy with an MMA background.




Next up was Rory, Blue belt, under 83kg.
He had a great match against the eventual division and absolute winner although unfortunately lost via 6 points. Still was a great match to watch as it was a battle from the closed guard. Still, as I said to him the hard work leading up to the fight is where you gain the experience and to keep his head up. He has the heart of a warrior so I know he will be back!


Afterwards, it was me, Masters, Purple, Under 76kg.
The first match I was against a Gracie Barra competitor (my old team is GB) who I heard from other competitors after our fight had medalled at the Mudials at purple. The guy also had 4 stripes on his belt so I knew this would be a tough crazy fight and it was!

I pulled half guard and the referee stopped us as they didn't reset the timer! Although in the end this actually helped me as I was over the initial contact anxiety.

Afterwards, I went for a fakey single and got half guard again, swept from there when he postured with a single leg style sweep.
He regained guard and I passed with the X pass and controlled him from the turtle although I ended up on bottom half again in a scramble as I was trying to secure the crucifix.
I then stuck him into my frustrating half guard lockdown and nearly subbed him with the Electric Chair although his leg passed and we ended up in a battle for a minute until I ended up sweeping him to side-control.
I passed to mount and got the points and he bridged and got me off although I countered with the new Renzo Gracie pass defence and nearly got the tap although I only had 2 fingers on the lapel so I had let it go.
Afterwards, I went to my bread and butter butterfly sweep and secured the knee slice pressure pass for the win at 16-0.


The second fight went exactly how I wanted it to and was probably my fastest match ever securing the triangle in under 2 minutes.
Lucky I had visualized the sequence a thousand times!
I pulled closed guard, overhooked the arm and started to work my overhook sequence, the guy tried to posture and pass although I controlled his passing arm to secure the triangle and got the finish.

My opponent was real nice and he had some good performances beating a judo black belt so I will probably see him again real soon!



All in all, it was a good day for the Anaconda team and we all took something away from that day. We bonded as a team, made new friends across Jiu Jitsu and pulled off some great personal goals. Without you guys, I would be nothing!







No comments:

Post a Comment