Monday 11 May 2015

Swimming for endurance!

When I got my purple belt I had a few things in my mind that knew I needed to do for my health and swimming was one of them.

Always been a fan of swimming and it was my favourite past time when I was young. I used to sneak away to the pool and spend hours day there and that led to swimming training in the citadel centre.




I was always able to do full lengths under the water and it was good to bench test myself to make sure my lung capacity was of a decent level and so that I can start to track my progression.
(I can do 30m underwater approx tested 4/5/15 and can swim over 1000m without breaking so far and that wasn't pushing me to 100%)

Another reason that I wanted to start was the allure of open water swimming in Barcelona and I'm considering joining a club as after only a few weeks of swimming at least 2-3 times a week I can feel the benefits setting during BJJ.

Personally I feel swimming is the perfect compliment to BJJ as it takes a certain level of hard work and dedication to master.

Holding your breath, properly breathing in rhythm and staying calm is key for swimming and that can be translated to your BJJ training as whoever loses focus, endurance and rhythm will lose.

I like to alter my breathing from the 2nd down to the 6th stroke and then back again to get used to altering when ill take a breath. This is challenging but when mastered I can see how my CV endurance will be through the roof.

Ive found a large increase in my focus when drilling BJJ recently due to the repetitive motions and prolonged periods of pool time. Not only is it good for me to be doing a exercise which pushes my endurance and lung capacity but during the swim I think about my BJJ flowing.

The benefits of swimming go beyond that to increased strength, flexibility, definition and even helps lower stress and depression.

So yea! Be Water!



No comments:

Post a Comment