Wednesday 8 April 2015

The dreaded cauliflower ear!

The cauliflower ear for some is a badge of honour that shows your hard work and consistent training is taking its toll of you in every way possible.....

For others its a nasty surprise which can impact your day to day life and affect your appearance to the point of feeling stressed.

For me personally I don't mind it, as long as I can get my earphones in then its not a big problem, if I do Jiu Jitsu forever then ill have them forever.

If not then I could get an easy surgery fix which i had to do in the picture right after getting my ear rubbed badly from a choke attempt. I couldn't actually get my earphones in and my ear hole was completely covered hence my surgery.

This happens when the perichondrium of the ear is dealt trauma via a one time incident or a occurring abrasion and then fills with a blood clot which then hardens between the two layers of skin which are then separated.

The cartilage during this process shrivels up and gives a wrinkled or cauliflower type look hence the name and dies if the blood supply is cut off for long enough. Appearance will be permanent if left on its own and a quick surgery as the pic above can show it can be sorted by stitching the skin back together tightly letting it reattach.

Self fixing is possible with a clean syringe and some extra hands to help! Just remember to throw away the items afterwards and use clean each time.

Of course we can all just wear a headguard but personally i cant do it, I have a great brute wrestling headguard which does work but it annoys me too much. Maybe ill try it again as my other ear has just started to flare up!

Then again we could just all go easier on our training buddies ears when in precarious positions such as triangles, d'arce, neck ties and of course guillotines!  The more we mature the more we see when an injury could occur so sorry to Mike on my part!

I'm sure it was a guillotine that caused mine so remember that and take care guys!!


UPDATE - Ear got gubbed last night (sami jo jenson! uppercut and ear smash lol) so ill be draining it tomorrow as the main area is covering my ear hole yet again. Here is a sneak peak of the damage + ill put up a video of the fix!

Been draining the ear every night with syringes I got from a local pharmacy for free. Approx 0.7 ml of crap coming out of it every time. Ive not made a makeshift compression bandage with cotton wool to pad out my ear so that the swelling does not come back and some zinc oxide tape I use for finger taping to hold it in place! Seems to be working so far!

UPDATE - ear got smashed today, 03/05/2015.  first time i have had my headguard off in weeks and the first ten mins some one ripped my ear badly. Thats weeks of recovery wasted so i was well pissed off lol







No comments:

Post a Comment