Tuesday 7 April 2015

Training Regression and Progression

Currently training 5 times a week for the past few months I am at last feeling another progression in my game which is great because sometimes you feel stagnate like you aren't getting anywhere with your movement., but after speaking to others I'm not alone.

It it my regression and lack of progression or others progression outwith my control?



I can only give account for my own techniques and movements.

Recently Ive been focusing on my stand up game as what is a (near purple belt) Bjj player if he cant take anyone down and get them in a position to win?

Double legs, single legs, foot trips and Judo throws have been on the top of the list as to what I need to master and luckily for me I have two experienced Judo practitioners to help guide me on my way.

One is a male brown belt heavier than myself and the other a Female black belt who is smaller which has actually turned out to be much more beneficial as I get two very different body types to train with which in turn helps me make decisions as In techniques Id use against different opponents.

Self defence techniques have also been getting drilled more than usual as I feel that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as a sport is not as effective in a real life defence situation and that most people forget it to the point of not drilling and practicing it. Ive never been a points fighter or bothered if someone gets position on me In a sport bjj roll and always look for the finish if I get the opportunity so Traditional Jiu Jitsu really strikes home with me as it is so direct.

Straight to the point! Sub not points...

On the ground my movement and transitions have been a major focus in hooks, nelsons, sprawls, windshield wipers, neck snaps, arms drags and leg drags. As this should be in place at a good level for a purple belt at this day and age.

Of course my usual array of submissions has been topped up more this time with nogi chokes and leg attacks which I seem to see everywhere at this time. It doesn't matter where I end up I always have a leg which is a good thing as it shows my perception and understanding is changing and even though I'm not permitted to go for the leg attacks at this belt I can see them (and go for them with regular training partners during friendly rolls).

My main focus was to improve everything before the next belt, too many people have been hitting me with "you should be this and that" when all I can think about is what to learn next while keeping focused.

I feel personally that I could do with a longer road to faixa roxa as this will help me battle my own Jiu Jitsu demons before taking another step up the ladder.

And it just goes to show how you mature with your BJJ game and mindset!

When I was a white belt I couldn't wait to get the next belt and finally have some colour in me. Now I'm a blue belt of 2 years all I can think about is what I need to learn next and how to improve to the point where I can actually hold my own with the guys already above me.

Only time will tell whether I feel like I am ready to be put forward and whether my own version of my skills is what my professor see's when he is looking in.


No comments:

Post a Comment